Need examples

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Sun Sep 18 08:18:36 PDT 2005

Dear Ralph,
good to see you back on the list.
I have been working with the German Youth Agency for the last 5 years
(they are the link between Youth Programs in Germany and the Bureaucracy
in Brussels where the European funds come from).
Originally, they had what they called a "retreat", just the 25 employess
in the agency, to check on what they had done in the past year and what
they planned for the next.
This evolved into a planning exercise (half a day structured reporting
followed by one day in open space and half a day action planning) which
now includes people from their whole system, about 60 folks (agencies
that they work with, people from Brussels and the German government,
members of their Board, consulting firms they contract with, etc.).
This December will be their third annual planning meeting run in this
fashion and it seems that they are expanding into a full 16 hours, two
nighs open space which I experienced as giving much more robust action
plans.
There is also, which I consider fairly prerequisite for action, a
planning meeting (similar to fs with people from all stake holder
groups)about 10 weeks before the event.
The action plans are produced on paper and become part of the book of
proceedings (with a fairly small group of 60  they can be produced
during closing circle and handed out before people leave).
Also, they are posted on the agency's intranet, a seperate place for
each action that is planned where people can post steps taken, etc.
(This is very similar to the process ho describes in The Power of Spirit
pages 148 through 151).
The documents etc collected here are the basis review and evaluation.
(I am not sure how they do that in an ongoing mode...a follow up meeting
in the traditional sense seems not possible and I imagine it might also
be a problem with a  national netword in the US...so it has become part
of the structured half day at next years event to get a hold on what
happened to the actions planned).
Working on the German Language turf the links might not be all that
useful but you might want to be in touch with the sponsor, the fellow
who is in charge of the Agency.
For contact data go to the world map
www.openspaceworldmap.org
click on Germany and then choose Wicke, Hans-Georg.

See you in Berlin for PracticePeaceBerlin with ho Nov 30 through Dec 2.
Greetings
mmp