Need examples

Allison Hewlitt ahewlitt at bellanet.org
Sun Sep 18 01:56:54 PDT 2005

Dear Ralph

Over the past year, I have been working closely with an organisation
called CIAT. As part of a 'Knowledge Sharing Project', we have been
planning and facilitating a number of annual meetings. These meetings
aren't exclusively run as OS meetings - in other words - up to 2 days
are run in OS while the other days include knowledge fairs, open
meeting days, a session with the Director General, peer assists etc.

The following story, written on CIAT's Annual Meeting which took place
last December, may be of interest:

http://www.ciat.cgiar.org/cgiar/knowledge_sharing/pdf/ks_project_report.pdf

As of tomorrow, my CIAT colleague Simone (s.staiger at cgiar.org) and I
will be supporting another organisation's annual meeting which
includes a 2 day OS meeting. We can share the agenda and outcome of
that if interested.

Unfortunately, we don't have many examples of meetings where action
agendas were produced and acted upon subsequently. I think that one of
the main reasons is that we were introducing OS as a means to get
people to know each other and share their experiences, ideas, issues.
In that respect, we have a number of testimonials from staff (a couple
in the report) and more to come in a multimedia product which is
currently under development (but close to completion).

Best,
Allison

At 2:18 PM Friday, September 16, 2005, Ralph Copleman wrote:

RC> Hi,

RC>  I need examples of annual conferences run as OS meetings.  Here are details.

RC>  An organization to which I belong has an annual meeting of
RC> about 300-500 people.  It's the same every year, speaker after
RC> speaker after speaker.  I've stopped going.

RC>  Now they're asking me about OS and if it will work for the
RC> annual event.  They want specific examples of annual gatherings
RC> where members come from all over (the US, in this case) and, you
RC> know, do what we do.  Specifically, they want to learn of cases
RC> where action agendas were produced and acted upon subsequently.

RC>  Examples of this sort from my own consulting practice are
RC> way in the past, with no one available to vouch for their success.
RC>  I can make the case, but I need a little back-up.  I want to pass
RC> along some links where they can see for themselves what happened.
RC>  Please keep in mind, this is a network of small businesses all
RC> over the country, not one single, large organization.

RC>  Send your suggestions to me privately or to the list.  I appreciate your help.

RC>  Thank you,

RC>  Ralph

RC>  --
RC> Ralph Copleman
RC>  44 Titus Avenue
RC>  Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
RC>  USA

RC>  H: 609-896-9714
RC>  C: 609-865-3466
RC>  O: 609-895-1629

RC> Home/office powered by wind energy

RC>  * *
RC> about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
RC> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

---
Allison Hewlitt
Bellanet International Secretariat <www.bellanet.org>