Capturing the story - Large Open Space and Strategy Cafes at Girl Scout National Convention

Christine Whitney Sanchez milagro27 at cox.net
Mon Sep 26 17:04:44 PDT 2005

Dear Open Space and World Cafe Friends,

On October 7 -10 , 2005, Kairos Alliance Inc. and a team of extraordinary
volunteers will be opening the space on Governance for up to 2,000 Delegates
and inviting thousands of other convention participants into Strategy Café
conversations at the Girl Scout National Convention in Atlanta, Georgia.
Recently 90+ volunteers gathered in New York for Open Space and World Cafe
training for this incredible event, where one of the members posted a
session to “Document the story and the vibe”?  Demonstrating the power
self-organization, this film is well on its way to happening in a very
exciting way!  And we hope you will be inspired to activate your networks to
help.

After we got an enthusiastic thumbs up from the CEO of the Girl Scouts of
the United States of America, Kathy Cloninger, we began working with The
Duncan Group to produce a documentary about how Open Space and World Café
invites thousands of Girl Scouts to share what is in their hearts and minds
regarding the strategies for reinventing the Girl Scout Movement.  The
Duncan Group is an award winning independent film and television production
company made up of a team of documentary and feature filmmakers with a
background in broadcast journalism, conservation, history, adventure, and
social issue programming as well as independent feature films.  If you check
out their website at www.DuncanEntertainment.com
<http://www.duncanentertainment.com/>  you will find it is full of heart,
spirit, diversity and innovation.

The end product, a short DVD, will be primarily used internally within the
Girl Scouts at the national and local levels as a motivational aide and
learning and empowerment tool as well as to further discussions about the
future of Girl Scouting.  A secondary external audience is the national
non-profit circuit, where this film will showcase how one large non-profit
used Open Space Technology and World Café (large scale self-organizing
methods) with a complex transformational process.  "The more that change is
real, the greater the case for creating new ways to bring people together to
talk." (Kathy Cloninger, CEO, GSUSA).  A third audience is comprised of
people/businesses/governments who are interested in how traditional systems
step into the future by tapping the collective intelligence and releasing
passion for action among its members.  As Kathy said, "The gathering of this
collective wisdom will shape the direction of this movement."  This film
could become a learning tool to inspire and inform other Cultural Creatives
who are looking to make a difference in their organizations, communities and
the world.

We feel so strongly about this project that we have each made personal
contributions to GSUSA and have already raised some additional funds,
totaling $5,000.  If you feel the same, we hope you might make (&/or find)
an immediate contribution.

Details:

ê           We need to raise a total of $28,000 by Wednesday, September 28
to send the film crew s  to Atlanta.   As of close of business today, we
have raised $9,400!

ê           All donations to this project will be made out to Girl Scouts of
the United States of America and sent to Julie Murphy jmurphy at girlscouts.org
who is our champion for this project at GSUSA and will get the checks to the
right people.

o   Julie Murphy

GSOSC Film Project

GSUSA

420 Fifth Avenue, 16th Floor

New York, NY  10018-2798

ê           If you intend to approach a corporation, please contact Kris
McCann (who initiated this incredible project) at (408) 438-7392 or
krismccann at aol.com, who is coordinating the interface with GSUSA.

ê           Those who have made contributions will be acknowledged in the
credits for the film.

We believe this film will be a catalyst which will take the work we do at
the convention to a broader and deeper level.  This is truly modeling
exactly what we will be doing in Atlanta - an actionable item that emerged
from the group of volunteers during their "Smooth Operators" Open Space for
planning for the convention has been moved forward through the passion and
power of self-organization.  The Producer of this film remarked that he’s
never seen a project go from concept to agreement in such a short period of
time.

Please help us capture the moment and create ripples throughout the Girl
Scout Movement and the world!

In Gratitude,

Christine Whitney Sanchez
480.759.0262