Collective Consciousness

Larry Peterson larry at spiritedorg.com
Wed Sep 21 08:20:18 PDT 2005

I have been part of a discussion group on Spiral Dynamics Integral for a
while.  In July, a sub group held an event exploring collective
consciousness -- what it is and how it is experienced -- in Open Space.
That half-day first taste has led them to want to go deeper, and it
looks like that will be on October 15th in Toronto -- with others who
want to come.

I have been reading Ken Wilber's latest piece, "What is Integral
Spirituality?", June 2005.  It can be found at

http://www.integralspiritualcenter.org/Integral%20Spirituality.pdf

He moves quickly through his integral world view to applying it to
spiritual approaches.  One early line really caught my attention:

"Consciousness is not anything itself, just the degree of openness or
emptiness, the clearing in which the phenomena of the various lines (of
development) appear (but it is not the phenomena - it is the space in
which phenomena arise)"

When Peggy's friend tried to discount OST, I agree he was missing the
boat (or the space).  I do think OST using purple (tribal) and green
(circle) technology for the meeting itself.  But the "space" it creates
enables individuals and collectives to expand their "now" (as Harrison
says).  It is best prepared for and done by someone who does see the
value of the whole continuum of development and can intentionally open a
space that creates the possibility that new phenomena and perspectives
can arise for the individuals and the collectives there for the
experience.  (That happened in Halifax.)

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
Toronto, ON, Canada