Use of Wireless, wiki and other high-technology for documentation

Allison Hewlitt ahewlitt at bellanet.org
Sun Sep 18 06:43:51 PDT 2005

Dear Lisa, All

Your original posting was timely. Though I haven’t used wikis in an OS
event, I was just talking about the possibilities with a colleague of
mine last weekend. Working for an organisation that promotes
collaboration especially through the use of ICTs and having just taken
part in a (close to) OS event where wikis played a central role, I am
struggling with the use of laptops, wikis and wireless in OS event
and am so glad that the questions were raised and that so many have
shared their thoughts. Here are a few of my thoughts on the use of
laptops, wikis and wireless.

Using laptops
***
I seem to work with *clients* who carry laptops with them everywhere
they go to those who have to share a computer at their workplace.
Those who go everywhere with them are often those (including myself)
who like to take notes on a laptop instead of paper. So discouraging
the use of a laptop at an OS event is like telling someone not to take
any paper with them into their discussion groups.

As for using laptops for documenting discussion reports... I always
encourage people to use flipcharts for notes, graphics, whatever they
want since I think that it is a useful way to create group memory. On
the other hand, I have also quite happily given the discussion report
template on a flash drive/memory stick to those who want to use their
own laptops to document a session whether in real-time or post-
session. Part of the reason for this is that people (like me) enjoy
using their own laptop often over those in the newsroom. I think that
it is because they are used to their own keyboard, mouse or word
processing program and would prefer to use what they are used to. This
point brings to mind an experience that I had last week where one
woman couldn’t use my laptop to write up her report (at the newsroom)
because she couldn’t figure out how to work the scrolling mouse (the
one that is a red button in the middle of the keyboard). It made me
think that I should always have a few extra external mice for those
who are mouse challenged.

I rarely use anything other than laptops (at the newsroom or in
circulation) in an OS event and expect to do so going forward.
While I prefer to have people working in the newsroom (and enjoy the
conversations that often take place), if people want to find a quiet
place to write up their reports, I am happy to help them find a way to
do it.

Wikis
***
Wikis are extremely powerful applications but I still haven’t quite
figured out how they can be used in an OS event. I really like the
discussion report template in a word document format for 2 reasons. It
is easy to use and just as easy to create a book of proceedings from the
reports. Also, I find wikis extremely clumsy and not as easy to use as
they should and could be (though I expect this to change soon). As for
printing the book of proceedings
 I am not sure how this is easily
done from a wiki. Lisa mentioned that she cuts and pastes text when
printing off wiki sites. Lisa - are you cutting and pasting the text into a
word document or from within the wiki? I would be interested in
hearing more as I am working with a org in two weeks time that will have an
event wiki and would likely be interested in trying to use the wiki to
document the discussion reports.

Wireless (with Internet Access)
***
You asked about wireless. I am not sure if you are talking about
wireless in the sense of having internet access or creating a wireless
or networked space (without access to the internet). I am going to
assume that it is the former... Personally, I find having internet
access at events to be distracting. When the newsroom gets
busy, I am kept busy reminding people that the newsroom is intended
for people to write up their discussion reports not to surf the net
or check email. Those who push for internet access during events have
told me that they can be more present when they can check their
emails from time to time. At an event last week, I had a participant
tell me how important internet access was for him as there had been a
flood in his village and because he could communicate with people back
home, he was in a better state of mind during the event.

I do my best to encourage people to take a break from their email – as
others have pointed out, it can be a much needed and productive break.
But, I also like to do what I can to help people find ways to work
that work best for them. If it means that they need to check their
email to find out the height of rising floodwaters in their village, I
will do my best to help them find a way so they can (hopefully) get
back to the work that needs to get done.

Hope this is useful. I am looking forward to hearing & learning more.
Thanks Lisa for getting the conversation started.

Best,
Allison

---
Allison Hewlitt