Conference Case Studies

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:20:36 PDT 2005

I suggest you take a look at the invitation for the Seattle area Practice of
Peace as you think about an OS conference. I think we used a model that will
eventually be used at professional/expertise conferences. I know it might
seem like the PoP is not a business/expertise kind of event but I am just
inviting you to think about new models for OS conferences. Just think.
 We invited about a dozen experts. Experts, I should say, in terms of our
event, which was using open space in conflict areas around the world. We
published brief bios about all of our 'experts', who we called 'invited
guests'. Harrison Owen was one invited guests. If someone reading our
invitation was interested in hearing more about what Harrison Owen thinks,
they would know that HO would be one of the people circulating at our
conference, that maybe HO would convene sessions and that there very well
might be opportunities for butterfly conversations with Harrison. I use HO's
name to be illustrative.
 Imagine you are a software executive and you have long admired Bob Guru's
thinking for years. Yes, you might sign up to attend a conference where Bob
Guru will be making a powerpoint presentation. But wouldn't you also be
attracted to a three day OS where you knew Bob Guru would be hanging around
and doing what the law of mobility was inviting him to do? He might convene
a session the software exec could attend. . . or maybe Bob Guru would attend
a session that software exec also attended. Or Bob Guru and software exec
might find themselves in a small flutter of butterflies having a
conversation that shifts software exec's thinking about his next software
launch.
 Putting a bunch of amazing experts/invited guests in the same meeting
facility as a bunch of professionals that are seeking to grow their
professional lives should be the ideal way to hold professional/expert
conferences.
 Isn't everyone tired of signing up for breakouts and sitting in a row of
chairs and listening to a talking head drone on about a topic that the
talking head created a year ago. . . but-the-one-year-old-topic is no longer
what is really up for the talking head so his talk has no passion.
 I know I'm speaking a bit to the choir about OS on this list but I think
the invited experts and a full-total-complete OS conference is where all the
leading visionary conferences organizers should be headed.
 This note is choppy and my thoughts not well developed. I am running late
this morning.

 On 10/12/05, John Rapp <john.rapp at peithene.com> wrote:

>  Gail West wrote a nice summary of OST we did, on short notice, for a
> 10-country (Asia Pacific) region of the world's largest law firm, in Fall
> 2002. Gail can point you to.
>  This sounds very exciting - good luck.
>  Best,
>  John

Warmly,
Tree Fitzpatrick
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Elliot