Conference Case Studies

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 14:24:35 PDT 2005

Hi there:

I have a couple of stories I could tell, but I have actually written one up
as a case study.

It's a reflection on the use of OST within the International Federation of
Organic Agriculture Movements congress held in 2002.

You're welcome to use it. It's a .pdf at downloadable here:
http://www.chriscorrigan.com/papers/ifoamreport.pdf

If you have trouble downloading it, let me know and I'll email it along.

Cheers,

Chris

On 10/12/05, Tree Fitzpatrick <therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest you take a look at the invitation for the Seattle area Practice
> of Peace as you think about an OS conference. I think we used a model that
> will eventually be used at professional/expertise conferences. I know it
> might seem like the PoP is not a business/expertise kind of event but I am
> just inviting you to think about new models for OS conferences. Just think.
>  We invited about a dozen experts. Experts, I should say, in terms of our
> event, which was using open space in conflict areas around the world. We
> published brief bios about all of our 'experts', who we called 'invited
> guests'. Harrison Owen was one invited guests. If someone reading our
> invitation was interested in hearing more about what Harrison Owen thinks,
> they would know that HO would be one of the people circulating at our
> conference, that maybe HO would convene sessions and that there very well
> might be opportunities for butterfly conversations with Harrison. I use HO's
> name to be illustrative.
>  Imagine you are a software executive and you have long admired Bob Guru's
> thinking for years. Yes, you might sign up to attend a conference where Bob
> Guru will be making a powerpoint presentation. But wouldn't you also be
> attracted to a three day OS where you knew Bob Guru would be hanging around
> and doing what the law of mobility was inviting him to do? He might convene
> a session the software exec could attend. . . or maybe Bob Guru would attend
> a session that software exec also attended. Or Bob Guru and software exec
> might find themselves in a small flutter of butterflies having a
> conversation that shifts software exec's thinking about his next software
> launch.
>  Putting a bunch of amazing experts/invited guests in the same meeting
> facility as a bunch of professionals that are seeking to grow their
> professional lives should be the ideal way to hold professional/expert
> conferences.
>  Isn't everyone tired of signing up for breakouts and sitting in a row of
> chairs and listening to a talking head drone on about a topic that the
> talking head created a year ago. . . but-the-one-year-old-topic is no longer
> what is really up for the talking head so his talk has no passion.
>  I know I'm speaking a bit to the choir about OS on this list but I think
> the invited experts and a full-total-complete OS conference is where all the
> leading visionary conferences organizers should be headed.
>  This note is choppy and my thoughts not well developed. I am running late
> this morning.
>

>  On 10/12/05, John Rapp <john.rapp at peithene.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Gail West wrote a nice summary of OST we did, on short notice, for a
> > 10-country (Asia Pacific) region of the world's largest law firm, in Fall
> > 2002. Gail can point you to.
> >  This sounds very exciting - good luck.
> >  Best,
> >  John

> [...]