SV: The Pros and Cons of OST? (plus use of the word 'technology')

Tree Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:39:19 PST 2005

Here's my two cents on open space "technology". . .
Like Lisa, I consider technology and tool to be synonymous or, atleast, mostly or essentially synonymous.
I have always sorta thought that the reason it is called "open spacetechnology" was because Harrison birthed it in a milieu of a bunch ofbrilliant, visionary consultants and that many of his early colleaguescreated their own tool. . . . i.e. Future Search, AppreciativeInquiry, Whole-Scale, etc.  I have always sorta thought 'technology'sounded like a good consultant kinda word.
And I have always, more or less, like saying 'open space technology'instead of just 'open space'.  Technology is a nice, ten-dollar word. And 'technology' reminds my listener (especially a client-typelistener) that I hold a body of knowledge that they are 'buying' whenthey hire me.  Technology just sounds official or substantive.
But, in the end, it just means, to me, 'tool'.  Like a carpenterrelies on hammers and screwdrivers, I rely on tools and I thinktalking about 'open space technology' is a mostly subtle way to remindclients and client orgs that social tools are real tools.
I love the whimsy of 'eggplant parmigiana', Jack, but it is hard forme to imagine building a consulting practice by representing myself tobe an eggplant parmigiana practitioner.  Surely language should createcommon understandings?  Esp. language that names human tools?!
Our choice of language means something.  I live in open space and weare all free to use the language that feels right to us.  I likehaving a few tools in my toolbelt.
On 11/29/05, Lisa Heft <lisaheft at openingspace.net> wrote:>>>> Hi, all –>>>> Allison wrote:>> What is the thinking in OST circles about the use of the word 'Technology'?>> I notice that some people use the term Open Space Technology at times and> others say 'Open Space'.>> A discussion on this topic may have taken place on the list before, but> being a recent arrival, I have not been party to it.>> I think OST is a technology, and like to use the word, but would appreciate> other opinions to broaden my own.>>>> To me, 'Technology' in this instance simply means 'tool' or process.>>>> A 'way'.>>>> I looked up 'technology' for a definition – one of those definitions was:>>>> Anthropology. The body of knowledge available to a society that is of use in> fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and extracting or> collecting materials.>>>>>> Here is a body of knowledge available to society that is of use in> fashioning co-creation, practicing interpersonal, creative, productive and> conversational idea-generation, arts and skills, and extracting or> collecting (they forgot about sharing and exchanging, inviting and offering)> knowledge, wisdom, stories, spirit, inspiration, laughter, witnessing,> discovery…>>>> Lisa>>> ___________________________>> L i s a   H e f t>> Consultant, Facilitator, Educator>> O p e n i n g  S p a c e>> 2325 Oregon>> Berkeley, California>> 94705-1106   USA>> +01 510 548-8449>> lisaheft at openingspace.net>> www.openingspace.net>>>>>>   * *> ==========================================================> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe,> unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To> learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist * *> ==========================================================> OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To subscribe,> unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of> oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:> http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To> learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:> http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist

--Warmly,Tree Fitzpatrick