SV: The Pros and Cons of OST? (plus use of the word 'technology')

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Nov 29 07:15:08 PST 2005

Hi, all -

Allison wrote:
What is the thinking in OST circles about the use of the word
'Technology'?
I notice that some people use the term Open Space Technology at times
and others say 'Open Space'.
A discussion on this topic may have taken place on the list before, but
being a recent arrival, I have not been party to it.
I think OST is a technology, and like to use the word, but would
appreciate other opinions to broaden my own.

To me, 'Technology' in this instance simply means 'tool' or process.

A 'way'.

I looked up 'technology' for a definition - one of those definitions
was:

Anthropology. The body of knowledge available to a society that is of
use in fashioning implements, practicing manual arts and skills, and
extracting or collecting materials.

Here is a body of knowledge available to society that is of use in
fashioning co-creation, practicing interpersonal, creative, productive
and conversational idea-generation, arts and skills, and extracting or
collecting (they forgot about sharing and exchanging, inviting and
offering) knowledge, wisdom, stories, spirit, inspiration, laughter,
witnessing, discovery.

Lisa
___________________________
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: