OST and POP (was: The Pros and Cons of OST)

Phelim McDermott phelim at mac.com
Wed Nov 23 09:32:25 PST 2005

 Hi there,

My name is Phelim McDermott I'm a theatre practitioner with a theatre co. called "improbable"  Three years ago i was awarded a NESTA felowship to research connections between theatre improvisation and Worldwork/processwork techniques. I've done a considerable amount of training in Processwork over the last ten years and have been fascinated by the connections between the group ensemble impro and worldwork. Recently i have got verty excited in OST>  i've attended a number of worldwork events and and am fascintated by open space.. I'm sure there are many connections. I have found worldwork incredibly useful in my work in institutions and with large groups. I went to worldwork in Athens and in the states last year.. i'm hoping to get to Australia in april where it happens next.

There are some extraordinary challenging things about worldwork or POP sometimes it looks like chaos sometimes like some of the best theatre I've ever seen. I think that the commitment to explore hotspots in worldwork makes for an intense crucible which perhaps doesnt happen in the same way in OST but i'm a naive in that territory until i have done our open space event in January.. I'm so intereested that there are people wishing to make connections between these two paradigms. my guess is that visiting these different worlds informs the other and they are like parallel worlds... a bit like the performance/workshop worlds which exist in parallel  feeding  essential things to each other. Once you've been cooked in a worldwork process chaos can become like home.

phelim

Improbable?s Open Space event
DEVOTED AND DISGRUNTLED

What are we going to do about theatre?
A two-day event, 7th and 8th January 2006, 10am ? 7pm
At National Youth Theatre, 443-445 Holloway Road, London, N7 6LW
Email whatarewegoingtodoabouttheatre at improbable.co.uk  for more info and registration details

Improbable, 4th Floor, 43 The Aldwych, London, WC2B 4DN, 020 7240 4556, office at improbable.co.uk, www.improbable.co.uk