Starting with Open Space

Diana Larsen dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com
Mon Nov 21 12:47:32 PST 2005

Warning: Extended thought process ramble ahead!

I wonder why such a thing as training for OS facilitators exists.
Harrison says, "For me, The Process is internal to the people, and our
function is only to invite “it” (the people and their process) to come
forward. Always seems to."

Open Space Technology is "simple" Some of the software folks I work
with talk about writing code in terms of "the simplest thing that could
possibly work." I think of Open Space Technology as the simplest thing
that could possibly work. Trick is, it's not always so easy to find,
then do, the simplest thing. "Our function is only to invite 'it'" is
missing something for me.

If by "it will all work regardless of what you do," we mean whatever
happens is the only thing that could have, then that's always true.
Whether we sit in circle first or not. Whether we have an idea of how
to open the space or not. It's defining whatever happens as "what
worked." Which on one level is true, but may not feel like a satisfying
outcome to those involved.

Story: About 17 years ago I sat in a circle of 60+ people at the
organization I worked for at the time. We were a carefully invited
group, representative of all the stakeholder groups in our
organization. A "well-known name" guru had come to help us make sense
of a highly adversarial atmosphere that had persisted for some time in
our institution. At the beginning, Well-Known Name assured us that this
would work, that our investment of time was worthwhile, that there was
only one time out of dozens where through his process a solid community
had not emerged from conflicted, confrontational factions. (That was a
group of shrinks from Berkeley, he said. Leaving unspoken the idea,
"and what else would you expect from /them!/")

At the end of three days in circle and small groups, after a round of
singing Cum Bah Yah (no kidding!), he congratulated us on having
crafted our newly revived organizational community. I looked around. As
far as I could tell, he was the only one in the room who saw a
transformed community there. Most folks felt pretty much the same as
when they had walked in. Few attitudes or relationships had changed.
All the factionalizing persisted undiminished. Later on that day, at an
all-organization meeting, he reiterated his congratulations.

In that case, what happened was the only thing that could, given all
the realities attached. However, I suspect that, had we been engaged in
Open Space, different realities might have emerged. The outcome could
have been either a revived idea of us as a community or, at least and
still worthwhile, an understanding of why we hadn't reached that sense
of ourselves. We had none of that. Only an obscure sense that we had
failed at something every other group had managed to do. We were as bad
as a bunch of Berkeley psychiatrists! (In some ways, he had set us up
for that sense of failure and self-blame.)

Clearly sitting in circle alone didn't do it. So, when someone new to
Open Space asks for advice, it feels simplistic rather than simple to
say only "trust the people." Otherwise, why do some of us (not me)
offer Open Space facilitator training? Is there nothing to learn? Is
there no craft or art to Opening the Space? Can someone just pick up
the book and do it? These are thoughts that sincerely puzzle me. I am
not being flippant about it. What is involved in "inviting it" that we
should explain to those who are new and asking for advice? Or do we
only learn from experiencing it? I have more questions than answers
about this.

Thanks for reading this far into my ramble, :-)
Diana

PS In retrospect, the experience left a lasting impression on me. As a
consultant, I wait for my clients to determine whether we reached a
successful outcome. I resist mightily any attempts they may make at
getting me to define it for them. And, I /never/ ask clients to sing
Cum Bah Yah.

Diana Larsen
www.futureworksconsulting.com   503-288-3550
www.futureworksconsulting.com/blog/

Upcoming Events:
- Open Workshop with Diana Larsen & Esther Derby
   "The Secrets of  Agile Teamwork: Beyond Technical Skills"
    Next Session: June 6-8, 2006, Portland OR USA
    email Diana or Esther for more information:
    dlarsen at futureworksconsulting.com  or derby at estherderby.com