Process in Breakout Groups

Wendy Farmer-O'Neil wendy at xe.net
Thu Nov 17 11:21:09 PST 2005

Hi Jimmy,

I agree with Lisa. If you really feel you need to do something like this, do
it on the first day before you open space. But my experience has been that
unless you have some serious information that people really need to inform
their conversations in the Open Space, most folks come away stating that
they wished they could have had the two days in Open Space--that they find
it far more productive and meaningful.

I am going to be blunt, but I think this is important--so imagine this
delivered with a smile and a friendly arm about the shoulders...

It sounds to me like you are still struggling under the impression that you
are in control.  For me, the one essential quality that an OS facilitator
needs is an unshakable faith in the resource, the capacity and the wisdom of
those present.  If you are prepared to be surprised, the participants will
create more amazing ways of hosting their sessions than you can imagine--and
they will all be exactly what needed to happen--what could happen.  Just as
the openness of the marketplace process in an OS event creates agendas that
are more appropriate than any one person could create, so too does the
openness that continues on into the sessions.  Some conversations will be
free form, some will evolve into circles, some will be focused, some will be
dance classes, some will be play sessions, some will be workshops with
Q&A--the point is that the process that emerges will be the process that is
most effective and appropriate--FOR THOSE WHO ARE ENGAGED IN IT.  You've
gotta trust them--or you're in for a rough ride.

JMHO,
Cheers,
Wendy