Process in Breakout Groups

Jimmy Pryor-SunBody Jimmy at sunbody.com
Thu Nov 17 10:41:14 PST 2005

In all that I've read about OS, I don't recall seeing much about process
within the breakout groups.  How is that usually determined? I have seen
mention in some posts of combining OS and "cafes".

I have envisioned using OS and allowing those that post topics for
discussion to include the method of consideration.  For example, someone
might say "I want to have a conversation cafe on x."  or "I want to give a
presentation on the work I am doing to clean up Japhet Creek and then lead
a conversation on how we can do it better."  or "I will give an
introductory workshop on nonviolent communication."

Lisa Heft recommended to me in an off-list email that traditional workshops
and speeches not be part of the OS period - do that on the first day of the
conference, and OS the second day.  What has been the experience of others.

One of my fears is that if the process format of the breakout groups is not
specified they will all be free form discussions.  While that is fine for
some conversations, I really like circle dialogues and more structured
conversations, too.

Jimmy Pryor