Ideas please for a different closing

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Nov 14 06:17:52 PST 2005

Hello, all -

Doug asked for ideas for a different closing.

I, too, like Koos (hi, Koos!) do not close any evening if it is not the
final closing of the event.  Intentionally, I keep the space open for
'percolating' ideas overnight.  I think it's great that you dreamt about
it overnight, Ted !

However, I do see Sheila's thought about this being an OSonOS, and I saw
from the list of participants that most if not all folks have done OSs
before.  Therefore they may be more interested in exploring different
models of facilitating OS as part of their OSonOS inUS experience.  Koos
- I love your idea - if participants feel interested in seeing different
closings, trust their interest to motivate their holding a session where
they share ideas for different closings.

One closing I sometimes use is, after going around in a reflection
circle (I happen to have a 'listening stone' rather than a talking stick
- everyone writes one word of what they take back out with them into the
world after this experience they've had together.  After the delicious
nutritious silence where everyone is reflecting and writing (each has a
marker and a brightly-colored piece of paper), each in turn around the
circle stands and says their word - these are the last words of the
event.  People can post their words (written on paper, or leaf-shaped
paper, or on other shapes cut out of paper) on the wall (or leaves on a
drawing of a tree, or whatever).  The last image is a mosaic of
intention, commitment, gifts of each individual walking back out into
the world, community.

Have the best time,
Lisa

L i s a   H e f t