Deep Democracy * Open Space * Other systemic methods

Patricia Haines levelgreen at kaxy.com
Fri Nov 4 06:42:46 PST 2005

-this is another example of why and how listservs are important: I never heard about  Deep Democracy
- or Open Space - or the World Café - in grad school! even though I was supposedly preparing for
work in participatory program planning - thanks to you all for sharing so generously from your
knowledge and experience!

My organization, the Level Green Institute, is planning to host a series of week-long residential
Folk School sessions this coming summer. Colleagues from the national network of community-based
groups that draw on the Nordick model have asked that one of the strands in each session be on
grassroots organizational capacity-abuilding.  In addition to non-profit management and
entrepreneurship, I'm thinking that five days on methods for participatory envisioning and planning
would be very valuable.
Since ven Cornell's Adult Ed program doesn't offer this, I'm thinking that we could cover Open
Space, Deep Democracy, World Café,  Search Conferences, and Participatory Action Planning - any
other ideas?

I'd welcome your thoughts -

Patricia Haines---- Original Message -----