The Pros and Cons of OST

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Mon Nov 21 19:29:37 PST 2005

Allison,

A second vote to lovely Lisa¹s suggestions.

If part of your presentation is a compilation of this community¹s opinions,
I¹d like to opine on the case that there are no cons for me in open space.
I¹m not saying this prescriptively or dogmatically, but experientially.
I¹m not even speaking for all those who have shared open space with me over
the last decade or so ­ this is ³just² personal experience.
Not everything has easily quantifiable cons, for example things like:
optimum connectivity in social networks, ecological resilience, communal
forgiveness and trust.
So I¹m not inclined to fabricate cons because I¹ve been assigned to.
I just don¹t see the outcomes of open space as downsides or ³waste² in the
process, especially given my deep commitment to ecology where ³there is no
waste in nature.²
Open space is a natural process where, as another eco-mantra has it:
waste=food.
There are certainly limitations to open space. The wrong people tend not to
show up. Things tend not to start or stop at the wrong times ... And so on.

Thanks for inviting this conversation.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com