controlling systems and transformationRe: What increases the likelihood of action?

Chris Macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 03:49:52 PST 2005

I have been brewing for many years how to explain to this space's alumni in
50+ countries, my friends' 21 years exploration into : what controls global
systems and any potential for innovation transformation, as well as today's
networking revolution's opposite (sustainable diversity-communion or hell)
futures for humanity.

I havent yet found anyone on this listing who'd look likely to be engaged
by "patterns of truly gravitational maths can be beautiful to map" (indeed
since nothing is more Orwellian than spreadhseeting numbers, finding any
mathematicians that would dare tell leaders how ugly this boardroom's
excellence pursuit is compared with the collaborative (open) computing intents
of my heros like von Neumann ain't easy)

But when it comes to media, I have always wanted to say : if all we can do is
open media/space for 3-day intervals, then that's not much share of attention -
let alone voice - for being open through a human's lifetime

Anyways, an accidental happening in Washington DC hosted for 3 days by Traci
Fenton of http://www.worldblu.com reminded me of another possibility. 3 people
spoke about deeply human companies that compounded 100 times orignal
investment for those who stayed with particularly inspired company systems for
a generation. Of course far greater wealth multuipliers were developed round
all other stakeholders because you can't fool all of the public (even in
commercially saturated lands) for a generation even if you resort to billion
dollar a year media pitches as glpobal brands now often do.  I was reminded
that my family was intimately connected to one 100-win returns story and that
it connected the two dark powers of economics and global media. Here is one
extract from the story - more at http://therebeleconomist.blogspot.com
http://value100.blogspot.com

My reason for posting this script (poor as my mathematician's wordsmithing may
be) is to ask whether anyone can see a way of recycling it to challenge
societies in chnarge of investment to revalue media or numbers or sustainable
globalisation's both!

sincerely
chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk dc region tel 301 881 1655

----------------------------
Large Western organisations ordinarily do not like to hear that breakthrough
innovations of the sort that develop new industries and enable national
economies to leap forward cannot be managed, nor siloised functionally. They
can be founded and culturally stewarded but that is a different system we will
discuss later or over here.

No media, let alone a globalising one, has been in the position to cover
innovation’s story with such verve as The Economist did over the generation it
compounded 100-win growth. It chose a few quirky phrases such as
telecommuting, entrepreneurial revolution, intrapreneurial now, death of
distance networking, to identify heros in these stories - memorably and in a
way that it made nigh on impossible for any outside consultant/professional to
pretend to speak the language and then manage something directly opposite.

Another post will map the original compasses of these phrases but here we will
provide an example of one innovation story after discussing a simple but
liberating impact this genre had on leadership.  What happened was that people
started hosting cafes or dinners) where a few large company leaders came to
explore a catchphases’ stories. Leaders self-selected themselves so in the
words of the world’s most prolific facilitator of innovation spaces Harrison
Owen  “the people who came were the right people” to enjoy questioning the
invitation’s challenge. After hearing a few of The Economist’s stories, the
leadership conversations would become highly spirited, as well as plain good
fun. People tapped into the childlike glee of exploring rather than the adult
at all cost don’t lose scientific face.

These celebrations of innovation grew to be world famous wherever exceptional
hosts –and their deep futures networks - existed. In America Herman Khan’s
Hudson Institute think-dinners or exploration trips provided one exceptional
series over many years. In other countries like Japan, which had already been
encouraged by a glowing survey of which of their developments were best for
the world, even government institutions hosted these events. In this way
ahead, national contributions to world trade could be a noble calling,
according to the attribution of one kindly world leader.

People however big their leadership responsibilities did not tend to forget
experiencing one of these high spirited events including the time when among
Romano Prodi cheer-led a chorus of the 10 green bottles that must accidentally
fall for entrepreneurial revolution in one of Venice’s swankiest hotels and
for Italy’s leading businessmen. In effect, these innovation classes planted
their own leadership alumni group which tended to reach clusters of industry
sectors as well as most politicians who became national leaders in the 70s
through the 90s. Moreover until the mid 1980s when spreadhseets started
drowning boardrooms in numbers, innovation stories had a fair chance of
propagating up through the chattering classes.

Insert Pilkington Innovation Story here.

Quoting Peggy Holman <peggy at opencirclecompany.com>:

 And you thought I was done!  Here's the next installment.

 I find myself still mulling what it takes to increase the likelihood of life
 after an event.  What sparks the energy for action?   In other words, to the
 extent that process matters, what are the elements of great process?

 I mentioned some of what I believe makes a difference in my last message:

 *  Framing the Law of Two Feet as taking responsibility for what you love

 *  Using silence in the collective during morning announcements and evening
 news

 *  Taking time and inviting diversity

 As I've continued thinking about this, I'd add a few others, mostly
 reaffirming "old friends" that seem worth making explicit:

 *  Setting bold intention.  The more ambitious the purpose, the more the
 potential energy to transform it contains.  It may seem obvious, but I often
 find myself coaching sponsors to be daring.  Questions that inspire,
 enliven, wake people up are the ones that bring out creativity and
 excitement.

 *  Welcoming wildcards.  Think of it as extreme diversity.  Harrison calls
 it welcoming the stranger.  It is often the people who seem least like they
 belong who bring the unexpected perspective that causes a breakthrough.  It
 happens all the time in OS's about youth.  Adults are ALWAYS amazed at what
 young people bring to the mix.

 *  Welcoming all aspects of participants.  I learned this more deeply from
 Tova Averbuch earlier this year.  It is an important variation of welcoming
 the stranger.  To be willing to dive deep, people need to feel welcome.  At
 the Kaleidoscope Café, this lesson came clear on the second day.  There was
 a strong leaning in most of the participants towards the role of the heart.
 Several people, who brought a strong orientation towards collective
 intelligence, weren't feeling particularly welcome.  In opening the space on
 this day, Tova Averbuch did an incredible job of making room for the head
 and the heart.  This created an opening in which those feeling isolated
 found ways to express what they were experiencing, bringing themselves more
 fully present and providing the whole gathering with the gift of a more
 whole sense of itself.  It enabled insights and conversations that took us
 into places we might not have otherwise been able to go.

 *  Invoking the spirit of the work.  Setting the tone as the space is opened
 is an art.  Also at the Kaleidoscope Café, I experienced one of the most
 powerful invocations ever.  On the second day, preparing the stage for Tova
 to do her magic, a young musician at the gathering turned us all into rhythm
 instruments, standing up, tapping on our bodies to create a quiet background
 beat as Maria Scordialos rapped her invocation, daring us to go deeper, to
 experiment as we did our work that day.  The result was that virtually every
 session took an approach that went beyond words in some way.  It led to some
 amazing breakthroughs.

 Sidebar story:  I got a new insight into how ideas move to action discovered
 because we began the session by toning together!  I never would have used
 this approach for this topic without the powerful invocation that morning to
 boldly experiment, to dive deep.  The toning became a breakthrough metaphor
 for the underlying pattern of idea to action:  it starts with an intention -
 a call, and a few voices are attracted.   Sometimes there are missteps,
 wrong notes.  Yet, when there's a conviction to stay with the call, at some
 point individual voices are attracted and cohere into a whole and action
 becomes visible.  We experienced this pattern on multiple levels:  the
 toning, the way the group formed (after posted time, one person came, then
 another, when the third arrived, it became a session), our exploration of
 the topic itself.

 Right timing.  One environmental factor that strikes me as important is
 right timing.  What is the state of the situation?  Has there been time and
 energy invested already, just no clear answers emerging?  Is it a whole new
 subject?  I think in many of our most complex issues over the last few
 years, incredible work has been done, lots of creative answers identified,
 yet nothing quite taking root.  In these cases, because the ideas are ripe
 for harvesting, enabling the system to talk to itself could be just the
 ticket to generate coherence.

 *  Preparing the field.  Being mindful of the "container" we create for the
 work is perhaps one of the most important and subtle jobs of an OS
 practitioner.

 My understanding of the nature of "containers" for the work we do has
 evolved hugely through the years.  I used to think of the container as a
 bowl, with sides that protect, creating a sense of safety through its form.
 I think most of the change processes out there do create bowl-like psychic
 structures (picture two hands cupped, as if to hold water), lots of safety,
 some room for the unknown and very constrained space.  I think as OS
 practitioners begin, they often hold on pretty tight, creating bowl-like
 spaces.  I know I did.  These spaces are serviceable but not nearly as juicy
 as taking that next step into the "field" (picture two hands together, flat
 and open).  This is a gift of Open Space, to offer a container open to the
 air, the mystery.  The theme of the OS bounds the space, trusting
 participants to care for themselves, each other and the whole.  In every OS
 in which I've been part, people have collectively lived up to this
 expectation.

 Here's the edge of my own learning:  I think the work of the OS practitioner
 who wishes to support action beyond an event learns to release the container
 into the hands of the participants.  When action continues, it is in part
 because the container has been internalized, becoming a web of connections
 among participants.  They now hold their own future.  I think that is why
 re-opening space for coherent action on the last day of a multiple day open
 space is so powerful.  It is an explicit invitation to take ownership of
 what's next.  There's a coherence that comes of the web weaving itself.
 Clearly, this can happen without the OS practitioner knowing any of this,
 but I think the more we are mindful of giving away the container itself,
 helping it morph into a web, the more we increase the potential for follow
 on.

 Our job is to hold lightly and then let go, releasing the fate of those we've

 been serving into their own hands.

 We talk so much about holding space, I'm particularly interested in thoughts
 about this idea of releasing space.

 So, that seems a good place to end these reflections and ask what you think.