deep democracy - Deep Open Space

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Mon Nov 7 08:38:46 PST 2005

Hello Harrison, Jack, Everyone,

I hope you can follow my replies to the various posts...

Harrison Owen wrote:

> Jack wrote: We can only invite it, again and again.
>

> Well Jack - your font size is improving. But more....! Anyhow, I
> totally agree. Keep the space open for action - again and again. But
> never force it, for that is to close the space. There have been two
> instances in my experience where "The Plan" called for "Action
> Planning." The words were in the Invitation, and repeated in The
> Program. The sponsors expected it. I expected it. I think the
> participants expected it - after all in every meeting they had ever
> attended, when it said "Plan for Action" - all good soldiers rose to
> the occasion and did as expected. That was the way things were (are?).
> But in the situations I am referring to Action Planning was the last
> thing that anybody cared to do when it came to the point. The first
> situation was in Rome where I had the privilege of opening some space
> for the "50 Israelis and Palestinians." These folks went deep and
> deeper still. So deep in fact that when we got to the 3rd day
> (Planning for Action) they really couldn't believe they had gone where
> they had gotten to (sorry for the sorry English). They had never quite
> been there before, and certainly I hadn't either. It was quite new,
> strange, and fearful. And truth to tell, I believe nobody was really
> sure that they wanted to be "there." Under the circumstances, planning
> for action not only seemed premature but something for another planet.
> They had to find grounding in their present circumstances before
> moving onwards - or indeed anywhere. I sensed that more than thought
> it, and my invitation at the opening circle on that final day was to
> take a deep breath and a long walk - and then decide how, or if, they
> wanted to continue. I made that invitation very specific by suggesting
> that we take an hour and go our separate ways. And at the end, those
> who chose to come back to the circle would go on, and those who did
> not return would leave with all our love and respect. As it turned out
> they all came back - but they had the choice, which I thought to be
> most important. So Yes - open the space for action, but any action
> (even something we don't expect) is welcome.  And for those who may
> not know this story, check
> http://ho-image.com/opening_space_for_peace.htm
>

> Harrison

Harrison - I wanted to reiterate what I think you said... When we invite
action, which is what we do when we Open Space, it helps me to remember
that remaining seated in your chair is an action in itself, and who
knows what's churning inside the hearts and minds of the persons who are
"simply" sitting. Waiting (for the wind to shift) is an action. Being
and absorbing, or even sleeping sometimes for me brings forth the most
powerful and efficient action I ever produce.

Is there a place for reminding the participants when we give a "call to
action" after several days in OS, just like we do when we remind them of
the four principles and the one law?

a message dated 11/4/05 9:29:09 AM, tzimtz at earthlink.net writes:

> Now I want to appreciate the work of Michael Herman, Chris Corrigan,
> and others who are, it seems to me, discussing a list of "meta-skills"
> for Open Space facilitators.

Is it 'meta-skills' we need?  Or, meta-being?  My view:  Meta-being.
Everything flows from that.  The techniques are already established.

Paul Everett* * =========

Paul - I think you're right about meta-being, which is somewhere in all
of us if we are willing to invite ourselves into meta-being. I believe
the techniques exist, may be established in some, are practiced some of
the time, and it would be helpful to bring together into a coherent
document, or place. In fact I've been collecting the pearls of wisdom
rolling around all over this list into a 28 page word document that
could use some serious editing, loosely titled OS helpful hints.

I believe I may be inviting myself to do some "serious editing" but I
will also extend the invitation to anyone on the list who wishes to take
on the task of editing my harried collection. Anyone interested?

a message dated 11/6/05 6:40:07 AM, hhowen at verizon.net writes:

> In a word, people will do what they will do, and no
> "method" on earth (that I know of) will make that different.

Exactly, Harrison.  Which is why most "team building" exercises/events
I've ever been involved in are monumental wastes of time, build false
expectations and generally don't work.

Paul* * ==

Paul - I have experienced and facilitated some forms of "team building"
exercises/events that have been consistently successful. I believe the
main premise is to invite personal responsibility for the individuals as
part of a team and to give them tools (like Open Space) that help them
to work together, and better communicate who the are, how they work
best, and what they care about most. I've never been one to build
someone else's team, I can only help them (by giving tools and inviting
them to share their own experiences) to build their own team on their
own terms.

These are my thoughts...

with grace and love,

Zelle

************
Zelle Nelson
Engaging the Soul at Work/Know Place Like Home/State of Grace Document

www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at maureenandzelle.com

office - 001.828.693.0802
mobile - 001.847.951.7030