Idea / suggestion for a little change at openspaceworld.org

Michael Herman mjherman at gmail.com
Sun May 29 10:42:55 PDT 2005

in the end, gabriela, it's all .ORG.  it's all hosted and linked
to/from .ORG homepage.  what you are referring to as .ORG and what i
was being lazy in referring to is the English wiki space.  .ORG hosts
many sections.  what most people probably think of as the main .ORG
site is the English language wiki.

there are several other wikis hosted there in different languages and
also this space i referred to as .NET.  you are right, it's open to
posting in any language.  what's most important about it, though, is
that it is meant to be a more public workspace, as you say, to show
people some things that are happening in ost, but also to give people
space to bring their work to public view or community access.

the way it is evolving, the English wiki is really quite stable and
less publicly edited.  it's essentially the website of the OSI-USA,
assembled from lots of places.  similarly, other linguistically- and
regionally-delineated groups are starting to build their own wiki
spaces under the .ORG umbrella.  the .NET space is wide open community
space, and the content would then tend to be more dynamic.  it's also
messier.

the reason i suggested that we put the invitations in the .NET space
is because in the past, those things have either required my tending
and tidying and if i didn't clean them up then they'd be left to make
a mess.  i decided i didn't want to worry about that mess, so i just
stopped putting them in the more finished and tidy space that is the
English wiki.

at the same time, while it was enough extra work for me to take
notice, there were never enough of these invitations to do justice to
representing our worldwide community and practice and spirit, so i
always felt like the invites section was a little bare.

now, if there are a number of people ready now to post notices of
their upcoming events, it occurs to me that one clean way to do this
would be to post them into a running weblog that could sit on our main
homepage.  it would be cool to have a running ticker of short blurbs
(a few lines at most) about so many events happening worldwide.

that weblog idea would take a bit of work to set up.  some time to
investigate, too.  might have to be an email list to which people sent
those blurbs.  that way they could automatically roll into the dustbin
rather than me needing to clean them up all the time.

are you or others willing to work on this sort of calendar?  if you
want to have a simple page page in the English wiki, i'll put the link
and you can fill out the page.  what are the rules that should govern
that?  what is eligible to for posting?  who will keep that page
cleaned up when events are over?  these are the things i'm wondering
just now.

one way to do this is for anyone who really wants such a calendar
space to create it at .NET and when it's up, i would put a link to it
from the English homepage.  then, if it got to be a very dynamic
thing, i would be glad to discuss more creative ways of organizing it.
  more thoughts?

michael

p.s. as for traffic, i haven't looked in a long time.  and now that
they've changed the way stats are reported at our hositng outfit, i'm
not even sure where the stats currently live.