The Question(s)

Masud Sheikh masheikh at COGECO.CA
Sat May 28 17:35:23 PDT 2005

Thank you Harrison,
I understand and accept what you are saying - that your client is the
organization, and that some people may need to move on. I am glad that you
did not use the word "caring" in this note. In the example you gave, I
suppose the facilitators and sponsors did not know the reasons why some
did not accept the invitations within the 48-hour notice period.

Labelling those who do not participate to be "non-caring" seems
judgmental, and perhaps manipulative - to me, at least.
Take care
Masud

Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

>Masud --The issue you raise is of course a real one. But for some reason,
in my experience, it is mostly a theoretical one. This may be due in large
part to the fact that in the early conversations with a client I am a
great pains to insure the broadest possible representation. I Insist that
the invitation be as broadly extended as possible. There may be some
limitations because of physical space available, in which case my practice
has been to make the guest list expansive and then set in motion an
acceptance system based on "first come, first served." In one large Open
Space that I did with Peggy Holman in a large US corporation (which was
very troubled/conflicted) -- we actually issued the invitations in defined
blocks according to the proportional representation of the
skill/professional/geographic groups involved. Folks were given something
like 48 hours to respond and invitations that were not accepted were
returned to "the pool" and available to anybody who cared to come. It
wasn't perfect, and it seemed to work. At least I never heard any
complaints -- although maybe Peggy did. (Peggy ??). But more to the point,
if there was a significant issue in the minds/hearts/soul of anybody
anywhere in that company that did not show its head (ugly or beautiful) --
I never heard anybody say what it was. Which brings to mind another point.
I am sure that there have been somewhere, some time, some individuals --
who felt excluded for some reason or another. Truthfully I feel sorry
about that, but in terms of the end result, I am not really sure it makes
that much difference. The reason is a simple one. If the issue felt by the
one apparently excluded by faulty invitation or personal choice is a real,
hot, juicy one -- you better believe that somebody will raise it. There
are endless numbers of situations where the gossip said that if THAT issue
were ever raised -- Heads would roll. Ordinarily that contraband issue is
an "early appearer" -- despite all predictions to the contrary.

>I suppose it is now time to reveal my personal bias -- focus, or
whatever. As much as I appreciate and support the rights, needs, and
feelings of the individuals involved -- my focus is always on the group or
organization. In another time and place I have confided to those who asked
that in my opinion, Open Space was not to be confused with individual
therapy -- although it is certainly true that may people have found it to
be of enormous therapeutic value. But that is another story. Once I start
working with a group or organization, I make it very clear that my
personal concern is that the group or organization reach its highest
possible level of effectiveness (however that may  be defined). At some
level this requires profound respect for all the individuals involved. But
there are also cases where some of the individuals involved probably need
to seek alternate employment, or whatever. And for them the most useful
outcome may well be to clearly understand that their current organization
is simply not their cup of tea -- and it is time to move on.