leverage points

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue May 24 19:10:33 PDT 2005

The principle "whoever comes are the right people" is, for me, the
most important principle in open space.  And beyond open space, I
believe it is an essential principle for the solutions to intractable
human problems to emerge.

Masud, you have written that this principle is not neutral.  What is
not neutral about it?  I ask in genuine inquiry, not to challenge you.
 I just can't see what makes it not neutral.  You write that you find
it judgmental. . . could you be more explicit?  What is judgmental
about "whoever comes are the right people"?  Projecting judgment on
the principle is a bit different than the principle itself actually
being judgmental.

Harrison points out that whoever shows up are the people who cared
enough to show up. . . but this principle is even more expansive than
embracing those who care to show up.  This principle embraces anyone
who stumbles in from the cosmos, such as the janitor at a strategic
planning session for a shoe manufacturer who gives the company an idea
that leads it to developing an entirely new product line (this is a
true story Harrison tells):  in such an example, the janitor was not
invited, he was crossing the room.

I love this principle more than any other.  I do not consider it a
mere assumption but a core paradigm.