Some Open Space practices

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue May 24 08:30:39 PDT 2005

I posted some stuff on my weblog back in March and added to your notes,
Michael and since then it's been a process of noticing practices in both
facilitators, myself and participants. I've enjoyed Doug's stuff on this! It
could definitely be another research project - with a juicy appreciative
protocol - to study these practices, how they arise and what happens when we
cultivate them in ourselves over the longer term. As it is, in the one
facilitation training I did structure around these practices, we spent most
of our time noticing where practices of opening, inviting, holding and
grounding show up in people's lives and then went to building on those to
establish the ground from which a solid practice of OST facilitation
emerges.

My basic assumptions around training has always been that anyone with a good
head and a good heart can facilitate OST, and that in order for the process
to be more than a tool, it has to become grounded and integrated with the
way the facilitator sees the world. I think that's true of any facilitation
method, by the way. So this training is about finding those practices in
daily life and assembling them into a way of thinking about working with
groups and individuals and self to be able to facilitate OST really well.

Noticing participant practices has value to me because as a facilitator it
helps me hold space in a way that acts as a container for those practices to
come forward. It also gives me some ideas about organizational and community
dynamics as well and becomes the basis for great coaching conversations with
leaders and sponsors.

Chris