Single day events

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun May 22 15:22:20 PDT 2005

Hi, Wendy-

You wrote:
< I am working with a local Hospice Society that provides end of life
care and bereavement support in my community.  They have taken the
courageous step of choosing OST for their strategic planning process,
but can only manage a single day.  I have advised them that they will
get deep discussion of all issues of concern to anybody there and that
some next steps will be possible, but not full action plans.  I am
turning to you, dear more experienced colleagues, for your advice on how
to transition into next steps/commitments/action planning at the end of
the day.  Any experiences and tales you have of one-day events would be
awesome!>

I agree with Therese - so much can happen in Open Space.

However, I always like to look at the design of the Open Space - should
it include action planning or not and why (of course, anything can
happen spontaneously, that is not what I am talking about - I mean - how
do you want to design the day).

To me, the most important thing is to get a-l-l of the thoughts and
ideas and 'what-ifs' and possibilities out of their heads - to bring
forth all the emergent ideas, divergent ideas.   And this sort of
thinking happens faster and better and more intuitively as the day goes
on and people cross-pollinate and mix and match.  So I would hate to
come in too soon and say 'okay, now let's fit you back in to thinking in
a linear manner and have you do action planning' if instead I could work
it into their post-event time.  I like Thomas' ideas.

Lisa

___________________________
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: