Open Space & Bulgaria

Change Management Toolbook holger at CHANGE-MANAGEMENT-TOOLBOOK.COM
Fri May 20 02:33:07 PDT 2005

Dear Emilia,

I am excited about all your activities! So our Open Space in Sofia really
got you going. This was what I was expecting - more Open Space conferences
in South Eastern Europe. Congratulations for being so brave and
facilitating OS events.

With regards to your project in Sarajevo I agree to Elwin - either do a
two days and a half day Open Space or leave it. Although OST can be
combined with other tools, it can be counterproductive, either for the OST
part or for the more formal training. If you do the OST at the beginning,
people might not be interested in the training sessions before. If you
first do the training sessions, you have given already too much input
which might lead to "...haven't we discussed all that already in the last
days."

At the beginning of an OST there shold be always the question of the
objective. What do you want to achieve? What are the right tools to
achieve these objectives?

And, don't forget the four conditions for use of OST:
· high levels of complexity
· high levels of diversity
· high potential or actual conflict
· a decision time of yesterday

If you think this is given for the context, I would agree with Elwin -
trash you agenda and do a two and a half days OST. If not - stick to your
original programme.

In any case, you are the one who knows. As I have experienced you, I know
that you will make the write decisions. I wish you all success and hope to
read the results of this conference here in the list.

Holger
The Change Management Toolbook

International Open Space Technology Facilitation Training
Bratislava, Sep 4-7, 2005
http://www.change-management-toolbook.com/about/training_2005_ostf.html