a very simple reason

Kate Armstrong armstrongkm at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 08:55:40 PDT 2005

Hello from another new listserv member!

I was encouraged to explore OST by Michael Pannwitz, Lisa Heft, John Engle,
and John Van Houten. My original introduction to OST was as a sort of
"free-for-all" minor piece of a large group meeting, and I was horrified by
what I thought was a complete lack of responsibility or commitment, which
seemed to make possible action impossible.Because I had already purchased
two of Harrison's books (story/user's guide), I decided to read them before
passing them on.

 Well, what a suprise I had! I was amazed and completely enchanted by the
twin principles of "passion" and "responsibility." In addition my mind was
drawn to the incredible potential empowerment of the participants creating
the agenda. I immediately thought of professions like my former one,
teaching, and how powerless teachers feel. It was close to mind-blowing what
might be accomplished given passion, responsibility, creating the agenda,
and space/time to do what could be done.

I believe that OST is more than a "product" for me. I am integrating it into
not only my practice but my perception of the world and my way of being. I
want to live the idea of OST as easily as I breathe. It is very much a part
of the paradigm shift that we have been experiencing for some time now. Dee
Hock has a wonderful paragraph on the end of the old (400 year) world view,
and an increasing number of people are writing of the emergence/shaping of
the new world view. It may not be clear for some time to come, possibly not
in our lifetimes but I believe the we are approarching the "tipping point,"
especially through expanding change processes like OST, AI, Future Search,
Public Dialogue Project, etc, that are so helpful in assisting us to shift
perspective.

At the same time I absolutely believe that we are in this incredible world
paradigm shift, I have no desire to leave what is best behind. Many cultures
have a different take than we in America do about  the later years of our
experience. It is called, among other things, "wisdom of the elders." I feel
that in reading Harrison's texts I have only been barely introduced to the
wisdom of this particular elder. I think of Harrison as one of the reference
points, one of the "anchors" if you will, in the ongoing paradigm shift. I
am only sorry that I will not be able to be in Nova Scotia to participate in
the birthday celebration!

To responde to Funda's concerns about marketing OST and "OST community," I
would like to offer the suggestion that one can create one's own local
community of collaborative practice. I was part of organizing a regional
(Northern California) AI practitioners group, and put out a call for a
similar regional group in Future Search. I put my energy into these groups
because I felt the need for collaborative practice, I do not choose to do
this work "alone," and I am prefer F2F rather thanvirtual in my
practice..Also, not all of us chose or can "afford" to specialize in one
process.It does not have to be a "process-specific" group, as Lisa Heft
organized the wonderful local "Fabulous Facilitators," and we come from all
kinds of perspectives and experiences.

What is the outcome? So far, for me, it has meant situating myself and my
pracice more deeply,continuing to see and experience "both/and," networking
in ever expanding ways to generate/collaborate in work regionally as I
cannot travel for work, support and community. The latest possibility is one
of creating a professional women's coop of shared physical space and
input/feedback on work, clients, projects, products. In short, it is all
about "expanding the possibilities." Look around where you are, and explore
what might be done...and it might be done!

Holding space open for woring and living,
Kate

"The best way to predict the future is to create it now, together."

Kate Armstrong, PhD
Pangaea Process Facilitation
*Appreciative Inquiry/AI Summit *Future Search *Open Space Technology *World
Cafe *Mediation *Conflict Resolution *Organizational Mentoring
*"Re:spirituality" workshops
510.352.4872
4pangaea at sbcglobal.net (temporarily defunct)