OST question

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 16:23:11 PDT 2005

Harrison and all:

This discussion is very interesting...

You said:

> Well -- just to be difficult -- the whole InterNet is Open Space. That is
> just the way it works.

This is true if you are speaking about "the whole internet". But it is NOT true, I think, if we are speaking about a small subset of the whole, like a mailing list or Web forum. (Ok, I will accept that a "small portion" also self-organizes, but the owner and the participants of the forum are concerned with "productive self-organization" and would not like very much a "dying self-organized body" :-((

So coming back to the original question:

> The Ken Wilber yahoo group moderation is taking wild swings. People
> are wanting to be "green", but the misbehavior of one poster is
> creating rough waters to navigate. Some members are leary of all this
> and feeling like dropping off - as very little of Wilber talk happens
> when the community is destabilized.
>
> Sri

I would say that, according to Chris Allen’s' analysis I have just posted, this is not a surprise. Wilber's group has in this moment 655 members (much more than the limit of 147.8) and in the last seven days had 263 messages, which is clearly more than most people have the time to read.

(One could ask, why can we in the OSLIST cope with a similar number of messages per week, but the point is that we are not only people that "know" that "The law of two feet" can be applied and that butterflies and bumblebees really exist - we are the ones that have that law ingrained in our behavior at the most profound of our tacit knowing. For us reading some threads and not others, or entering like a butterfly in the middle of another one is NATURAL.

I am afraid that when BJ's friend says that

> I am seeking a web forum where the process is OST, but the subject is not.

the bad new is that it is very difficult to have a list or forum with that condition UNLESS the majority of the members are skilled OST practitioners. If they are, I suspect that they can discuss OST or any other theme without problems...

Back to your suggestion, Harrison, I don’t think that Gabriel or Gabriela can be of much help if, as I suspect, he is in search of a forum that will continue for a long time in the sense of really creating a community. Both products have been designed, as far as I understand, for meetings that span for a much short elapsed time.

The point of how to lead a forum that has not OST practitioners and try to progressively nurture OST foundations, so that it can become like this list is still not solved, as far as I know.

But if someone knows a forum that works like that, I also would like very much to be informed!

Best Regards from Lisbon

Artur

Discover Yahoo!
 Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online & more.  Check it out!