Open Space & Bulgaria

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 13:53:07 PDT 2005

Dear Emilia,

I am the Elwin Guild that Harrison referenced in his story telling
reply to you. I was SHOCKED at how perfectly he remembered my Sofia
Bulgaria Open Space story. What an amazing person he is!!

I assure you that, after everyone of the 253 participants ran out of
the room when I invited them to come to the center and post their
issue, once they had a cigarette, they returned with a vengeance and
posted more than 50 sessions for the 2 1/2 conference. The outcome was
the founding of the National Dairy Association of Bulgaria in 1999.

Emilia Ilieva <ilieva at iizdvv-bg.org> wrote:
“ After some hesitance I decided to use [OST] on two meetings in
Bulgaria that went more than well and I am planning using the method on
one more event in the end of the month in Bulgaria...”

If you read and “follow” the advice in the USERS GUIDE you will always
have success. I lived and worked in Bulgaria for nearly 3 years (#3
Miza Str) and did countless Open Spaces across the country; trust me!

“Meanwhile I believe we will have chances of using the method in our
regional activities in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Romania,
Republic of Macedonia and possibly other countries in SEE and spreading
the word and experience of OS.”

I have facilitated more than 100 Open Space events (big and small) in
every one of the countries you named (and more) in the past seven
years.
Here are two contacts I recommend for your OST efforts:
Macedonia - Emilija Georgievska    toemilija at hotmail.com
Bosnia - Alma Memic    lolalma at bih.net.ba
Bulgaria - Nigrita Nikolova  nigrita_n at yahoo.com

“We have been using the World Café method at various activities of the
SMILE project last year as well. Therefore I have been following the
discussion on it very closely. However I need some more experience with
Open Space before I can say anything to compare the two.”

Sorry, but you don’t need more experience to compare.
Open Space is IT!!  There is no comparison.

Elwin Guild
Future Development International
Baltimore
elwinandjoan at yahoo.com