your thoughts on really big invitations?

Funda Oral fundaoral at ttnet.net.tr
Fri May 13 00:51:55 PDT 2005

i liked the 8th.
funda
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Herman" <mjherman at gmail.com>
To: <OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 9:56 AM
Subject: Re: your thoughts on really big invitations?

thanks to all who've considered tis request so far...

lots to think about, therese.  your first bit about the survey is a
good reality check in this.  and i like the bit about interviewing.
more and more we are in this open appreciative cafe world inquiry
space.

funda, the invitation would definitely be to deal with survey results
(and all the underlying issues, too) not some theory.  agreed.  and
agreed on the direct responsibility bit too.

lucas, your questions start to surface some interim levels for me...
yes, there is do open space, full blown circles/events, where anyone
who signs up would be invited to attend.  then there is the other end
where folks could be invited to interview others one on one, perhaps
logging responses somewhere.  in the middle these folks could be asked
a typical sort of 'opening' theme question, an invitation to name
issues.  seems this middle ground is most tenuous for them... safer to
show up in a big group or go deep with one-on-one.  showing up
individually might be tough.

approaches so far then...

1. could do one-on-one interviews, respondents interview each other,
questions focused on what individuals and small groups can do to
improve these numbers
2. could invite respondents to go out and interview some others
(latter being akin to what national dialogue and deliberation group
did during US election).
3. could poll for issues, but this seems just more surveying
3. could hold cafe type short events
4. could hold short or longer open space events
5. could prepare some sort of brown bag or larger os toolkit and
invite folks to convene meetings and post notes
6. could suggest some thresholds up front like, any location where at
least ___ people respond to invitation will have an event.
7. could provide interview questions and offer os summit meetings to
anyone who did 5 interviews and submitted one-paragraph summary of
each, then post them all on the wall.
8.  could ask folks to register their level of interest, i.e. would
like to attend a discussion/workgroup, would like to convene a
discussion/working group
9. there's always the lottery approach, but that's kind of a turn-off here.

other thoughts or options?

i'm flying back to london on friday and mostly unplugged through
monday, but will check back here on tuesday/wednesday to see what else
is coming up here...

many thanks, michael