The World Cafe

Michael Herman mjherman at gmail.com
Sat May 7 00:19:48 PDT 2005

i've never used TWC.  i now have the book, though, and will have a look.

to your question, peggy, i wonder if one couldn't pose a broad,
os-like theme at the outset, have the small table groups make a list
of the issues that they see important to resolution, discuss those for
some time then ring the bells and invite anyone to move who wanted to.
 in short (usually smaller) os meetings, i often ring the bells and
use that as a way to invite people to notice how far along they are in
their work in current session and make conscious decision between this
session and the next one(s).  nothing imposed, just a reminding.

when the groups in the modified TWC that i'm imagining finished, one
would stay and the rest could move to another table, then could spring
from the issues, opps and questions raised in first round.  each round
of folks could add to the notes, add to the questions, add to action
items, and add their names to the record at each table.  maybe there
could be a three- or four-column recording template for issues, key
points, actions and names.

in this way, we'd only need to ask the big question and the details
and sub questions could be provided by ppts.  might ring the bells to
mark shorter than usual decision/choice points, so that some might
choose to stay and some to go, with the suggestion that everyone try
to get in at least 3 or 4 sessions, then could invite people to come
back to their original table and see where things went.

and all that said, just thinking about it makes me yearn for a little
really open space <grin>.

--

Michael Herman Associates
http://www.michaelherman.com