Mystery and Depth

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri May 6 07:41:27 PDT 2005

I don't think this is so weird at all. One of the more interesting phenomena
I have observed in virtually every Open Space I have been a part of is the
emergence of what I can only call the collective consciousness. Signs of its
presence appear in the manifestation of common themes that permeate all or
most discussions. I would call this true consensus, as distinct from the
sort of consensus that arises through some sort of programmed activity,
usually called consensus building - but which in most cases seems to be more
like a reduction to the lowest common denominator. But that is just a start.
Full bloom, this collective consciousness seems quite capable of making a
"rational decision" followed by actions. What is unique in the situation is
no observable person or group "makes" the decision, nor is there any sort of
vote or formal decision making. But the decisions and the resultant actions
are inescapable. It occurs to me that the powerful effectiveness of the
convergence effected by Peggy, Chris, et al - done simply by opening space
again at the end of an event - may be yet another manifestation of the
collective consciousness at work. Where it comes from, I don't have a clue,
but its origins would certainly have to be quite primal and deep. In short,
it seems to be something that we already know, as opposed to a later day
learning. Also the fact that it appears, in my experience, in cultures and
places of all sorts would suggest that this is something common to humanity,
and not just a special case.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: