The World Cafe

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:40:14 PDT 2005

I haven't read the exact book you reference, Dave, but I did just read
Juanita Brown's doctoral dissertation and I bet the book closely
parallels what I read.

People that I deeply and wholeheartedly respect have talked more and
more about World Cafe and these people seem to think it is something
whollly new and different.  To me, World Cafe is just a new spin on
large scale meeting design.  I don't quite get why so many people I
deeply respect think it is something so new and so different.

I am perfectly willing to believe it is an excellent meeting
methodology, one among several.

I don't think organizations need new structured meeting tools:  I
think organizations need to have gatherings that build and nurture its
capacity for self organization.  I don't see how self organization is
nurtured through structured conversations.

I can see how hanging out in a World Cafe, moving from table to table,
would be a lovely experience and give satisfaction to a client
organization.  But to me it sounds like same-old, same-old. . . with a
lovely and wonderful new buzz.