Multiple Facilitator Roles in Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Tue May 3 04:30:19 PDT 2005

Actually with larger (500+) and longer Open Spaces (2+ days), I like to work
with a partner, preferably a woman (me being a man). This balances the
energies, shares the "holding of space," and gives me somebody to talk to
when I am busy doing nothing. However, I think it is very important to keep
in mind that the focus is on the participants and not on the facilitators -
which means that "face time" cannot be an issue. Whether you have one
facilitator or two, the job is the same - open the space so the people can
go to work and get out of the way. At a practical level, I find that more
than one person doing the opening can be confusing - differences in tone,
style, language patterns can slow things down un-necessarily and move the
attention to the facilitators. However, when multiple languages are involved
- two people and two languages in the opening can work. Michael Pannwitz and
I did this in Wuerzburg with our infamous 2008 participants. But it was not
a case of Michael "translating" for me. I made it very clear at the start
that Michael was going to do his thing, I would do mine, and hopefully we
would arrive at the same place. It seems that we did.

It remains true, however, that in terms of actual need - one facilitator
will do, and there are situations where none is just fine.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: