Appreciative Inquiry meets The World Cafe meets Open Space

Christine Whitney Sanchez milagro27 at cox.net
Tue May 31 23:31:13 PDT 2005

Hi Peggy, Alan, Harrison, and all you WC and OS combiners,

If I may weave Appreciative Inquiry to this discussion - last October,
Genevieve Treille, Christine Kohler and I piloted the "Transformative Large
Group Conversations" training with a small international group outside of
Paris.  With participants from South Africa, France, Spain, Israel, France,
Mexico and Ireland, we experienced just how well Appreciative Inquiry, World
Cafe and Open Space all resonate with people from diverse cultures and
across languages.  Since meaningful questions form the fulcrum of each
process, some of our most generative learning came from crafting questions
out the key learnings from each part of the training.

A bit about the training design.  We used the 4 D's of Appreciative Inquiry
as the organizing model for this training.  DISCOVERY: We started with an
original set of AI questions focused on "change" for the interviews, small
group and large group discovery process and then wrote World Cafe questions
from the AI themes which we used for the DREAM portion of the training on
the second day.  The key findings from the cafe conversations were
synthesized and then crafted into one convening question for the next 1.5
days in Open Space (DESIGN).  Each participant left with project plans for
using one of the methods back home (DESTINY).

Recently, Claudia Haack and I facilitated the second version of this
training with a gathering of 35 people in Chicago.  Based on the
evaluations, of both of these events, I would say that each person left the
training with one or two "favorite" methods.  For some, the heart and warmth
of Appreciative Inquiry is a great place to start any type of large
gathering because it helps to ease people into deep one-on-one conversations
and can be used for full blown change processes as well as 15 minute
conversations.  Many participants had great fun while discussing challenging
topics during the World Cafe portion of the training and some left with
intentions to really take care to spice up the atmosphere at the cafes they
offer at home (there has been talk about designing "Cafes in a Bag").  Open
Space was initially uncomfortable for a few (perhaps that shock of freedom)
but, of course, it worked brilliantly and I think was the overall favorite
for many.  As we kept discovering together, the "best" method(s) will depend
on the purpose, the group, and the facilitator.

Several people commented on how cool it was to see how the questions
naturally arose from method to method and that "doing' each process first
was the best way to learn about it.  By the way, at the second event,
participants received a copy of the AI Thin Book, the quintessential user
friendly Open Space Users Guide, and the beautiful new The World Cafe book.
What a delight to have such great resources!

Christine
Who is relishing the hundreds of postings I'm getting to after a couple of
non-stop months
Christine Whitney Sanchez
Triune Milagro, LTD
480.759.0262
VISIT OUR WEBSITE:  www.triunemilagro.com

Invoking the wisdom and capacity of the human spirit!