RE Craig, Strategic Planning, and Emergance

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Fri May 27 05:39:55 PDT 2005

Craig Wrote:So how to do Strategic Planning in a manner
that integrates the depths of people, the entire system, and the world,
honoring all parts of the psyche, not just one part?   How to create a space
so the insight into the futures can emerge or the emerging order can show
itself is key as I understand it.

I think the simple answer (and maybe even the right one) is just to keep the space open. It is not sufficient to open space (as in do an Open Space event), powerful and effective as that may be. The real issue is keeping it open in a continuing and ongoing fashion. Practically this could mean doing iterative Open Space events as needed. Every time the environment changes significantly, creating new issues and opportunities, Open Space. One need not have the whole organization and all the stakeholder present -- just those who care. And for sure it doesn't have to be a multi-$$$ offsite -- any open floor space will do.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854