fun-raising thought-for-the-day or, "that inner nag"

Susan M Kerr Smkerr7 at aol.com
Mon May 16 20:28:24 PDT 2005

Hello Therese,

I love your story of the Circulation Day. It has ancient roots, I  think.

It also reminded me of a time a while ago when I used to 'do church.'  I was
speaking at a retreat of about 70. As part of my talk I planned to pass  out
rocks and a round ball of artist's clay to each listener. To collect the  rocks
I wandered dry creek beds and petite canyons and my own shelves  throughout
my home. I passed over a small white stone I had on a shelf several  times as
it was a favorite but that 'inner nag' I call the spirit wouldn't leave  me
alone and finally I gave in saying, "okay, you can have that rock." The  retreat
time came and prior to my talk I stopped in at the little makeshift  chapel to
make my request of the three supporters there (they pledge to do  whatever
the speaker asks during the length of the talk). I simply asked that  after they
passed out the rocks and clay to every participant that they take the
remainder back to the chapel and play with them.

After my talk was over I returned to the chapel to find out how the play  had
gone. One of the three had built a tiny altar out of the rocks using  the
clay as mortar and two tiny broken branches for a cross which she then gave  to
me as a gift. There in the center top of that altar was my white rock.

My advice to all who hesitate on what they would give as a donation to this
auction, "never underestimate the power of a gift."

Peace,
Susan