Metaphor for Naming Elephants in UK

Greta Irving greir at BRAINTREE.GOV.UK
Wed Mar 30 08:07:36 PST 2005

Hi Therese

I think you are right in your question as to whether the corpse in the
cupboard is the same as a dead elephant.  I can't say that I could
immediately come up with a specific metaphor but it occurred to me that I
often refer to tendencies in organisations to accept "the emperor's new
clothes".  I.e. there is collusion over something that is not true, or
can't or won't be discussed.
For those not familiar with the story, the citizens of the empire pretend
that the emperor is wearing fabulous new clothes when in fact he is
absolutle naked, as the truth would be just too embarassing for everyone to
acknowledge!
Not sure if that's what you are looking for?
Greta