What have we learned?

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Wed Mar 23 19:44:47 PST 2005

It's interesting. I starting "doing" Open Space about the same time I started researching for my second book, "Accidental Conversations." I was learning about the presence and power of dynamic, organic, emergent systems in the natural sciences that so well paralleled the physics and ordinary magic of Open Space. My interest in self-organizing systems started in my work with organizations in the 1970's and Open Space seemed very logical and natural to that learning.

Now after countless Open Space events, mostly very humble in size and scope, I open space with the confidence and grace that comes with the experience of doing so. And why not. It's not about who we are individually.

In Buddhism - my personal frame of reference - caring follows knowing. In Open Space, my caring follows my knowing that we will engage each other in new ways whenever given the chance. And we will dare to dream larger dreams if given the chance to dream together.

This is both the passion we inhale and responsibility we exhale in the circle of being from which emerges our doing and having.

My story is that I was born into a world that calls me to freedom in my connectivity and that I am so deeply grateful for the privilege of being in this community.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.org