OS and themes

Gerard Muller gm at openspace.dk
Thu Mar 17 01:09:31 PST 2005

Dear Jon,

Thank you for your interestiing post.

I've had a few experiences similar to the one you describe.

If there are issues which the sponsor finds very important, there are
several ways to put more focus on them,
such as in the invitation and any other communication participants get
in advance, and in the sponsor's
Opening Statement. but there is no guarantee. Another option is to
think who in particular would have expertise about
or an intense intterest in the topics you worry might get lost, and
invite those additional people into the meeting.

So sometimes a preparation team that feels very strongly about this has
sort of started to divide topics between them.............
"If you post this, I will post that"-sort of thing. In my book, there's
not much Open Space left then, and I suggest we use another method
which allows them mre control over content. Then whatever is more
important emerges.

In your case if I understand things correctly, your team already has
enough experience with Open Space not to be worried about the process
itself
(will participants post topics, ....., .....)

However if I feel there will be sufficient space, I suggest that:
- they will not be the first to post these topics (after all, be
prepared to be surprised that others do), but rather the last;
- no-one is obliged to post a topic (after all, participants might post
topics they sense are actuallly more important or interesting)

I find that sometimes it is as interesting what issues are not posted,
as what issues are.

And following the principle "Whatever happens is the only thing that
could have"
I then ask myself - and the sponsor "If there would be an excellent
reason why
they are missing, what would it be ?"

Looking forward to hear what will emerge,

Greetings from The Near East,

Gerard Muller