OS and themes

Jon Harvey only.connect at virgin.net
Thu Mar 17 00:01:11 PST 2005

Hi all

I am currently working with a large public sector organisation who wants to
make some more headway with their strategy around gender equality (this is a
heavily male dominated service). Last summer we held 4 one day OS for
upwards of 250 women in each to give them the space to debate / exchange
ideas around what more needed to be done to celebrate the contribution they
bring to the organisation and what else was required to advance the gender
equality strategy.

We have now embarked upon running a men only day with upwards of 250 men -
partly as a counterbalance to the 4 events last year and partly because we
wish to explore just what more men - as men - can be doing to advance gender
equality and get more out of the strategy for themselves. (As an aside - it
is interesting to note that many of the issues that emerged from the women
talking - childcare, bullying, long hours culture etc - are the very same
issues that men in the organisation also articulate).

(For your information - there is a mixed day planned for later in May)

And yes there is much we can talk about just what role do men have in
tackling sexism, abuse & bullying, discriminatory employment polices
etc.(which disproportionately affects women more - though which can affect
some men too) since it is the men who are usually and traditionally in the
oppressor / perpertrator position - but that is not the issue I wish to
focus upon. (Although please feel free to comment!)

This matter I wish to bring to the OS community is about what people think
of the idea of having some preset themes - to be run as optional workshops -
happening alongside the OS workshops. I am well aware of the purist reponse
that says there is no need for this - with a careful set up at the
beginning - all that needs to be raised - will indeed be raised by the group
of men (in this case) as they create the agenda. And I go along with that as
a matter of OS 'doctrine'.

However - there are a couple (and I am only talking of a maximum of 3 and
perhaps only one of these parallel optional workshops) of issues that we
(the steering group behind the day) fear may not come up (they did not in
the previous four days in a comparative way) and we want to ensure that at
least the opportuntiy is present for the matters to be discussed. One of
these is the analysis of what women - as women, and secondly, what men - as
men bring to the organisation. The latter especially is of great interest to
the forthcoming day since men (white, straight, middle class etc) don't
identify themselves as 'other' very often and as a consequence don't examine
their special contribution - as men. I can expand on this point if you need
me too - altho the main question I have is about the appropriateness of
having preset workshops running in parallel.

I look forward to your responses. Many thanks!

Jon Harvey
Oxford, UK