NAIRN DAY

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 11:45:06 PST 2005

Hi Christine

Well, it came about during January 2004 after I read in the Glasgow
Herald that DEMOS was doing a futures project in Scotland called
S2020.  I contacted them and we met in Edinburgh.  I told them about
large group processes and how open space could engage the public in a
bottom-up dynamic.  Apparently, they believed me.

We did the event in Nairn last September as a pro bono to show the
importance of involving communities in their future.  It has received
a lot of attention.

We also are pursuing the Scottish Parliament to do another open space
event with committees as an alternative to conventional hearings.  We
did the first one four years ago this month with the Social Justice
Committee.   Their clerk, Lee Bridges, said "one day in open space
was the equivalent of two years of hearings."

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Kerry
Open Futures