Update on "Our Learning"

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 05:12:08 PST 2005

I want to thank Peggy Holman and David Swedlow for their rapid response to
my invitation that we take some time to consider and then share our personal
and collective learning after 20 years in Open Space. I particularly enjoyed
the fact that David, a relative newcomer to out midst, was the first to
respond. For my part I have opened a space on openspaceworld.com as the
temporary archive for our thoughts. You can check it out by clicking on
http://www.openspaceworld.com/os%20learning.htm   Eventually I will move the
whole thing over to openspaceworld.org, but for the moment it just easier to
manage on a website I can easily access.

I must confess that posting this invitation was pretty much of an impulse,
but upon further reflection, and after having seen the initial responses, I
believe that this little exercise can be of enormous value to the whole
community and beyond. You might think of it as an Appreciative Inquiry on
Open Space, and as such will constitute a useful piece of the nascent
research effort that Larry Peterson, Chris Corrigan, Peggy Holman and others
have begun.

There is no rush to completion, and I believe you will find that creating a
considered response will be a rich and rewarding opportunity. Our lives are
busy both in general and on OSLIST in particular - and it is so easy to get
buried in the immediate details that we miss the overall picture. As they
say - "We've come a long way, Baby," and taking a moment to consider just
how far and how deeply we have traveled can be a rich moment indeed. For
newcomers and old hands alike, observations on our personal experience can
only enhance our collective wisdom, I believe.

I look forward to whatever comes next as a birthday present from each of us
to all of us, after 20 years.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20845
Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: