Open space and software development (was 'A short introduction')

Tom Tuddenham ferrisoxide at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 16 02:36:29 PST 2005

Hi Diana, et al

I agree, comparisons between open space, open source and agile methods
have limited value. But if I can take your example and skew it
somewhat, I'd like to think of considering each a bit more like
comparing rubber tires, steering wheels and the little tachometer
thing.. they're all circles, but put them together and you've got
something that goes.

Again, I know I'm being wildly speculative - but it's a bit of fun
seeing how far I can take this idea. And in regard to ant metaphor
Lucas brought up, funnily enough we've called our little venture
'Siafu' after the ants of the serengeti plains. The notion is that many
little things working together can make big things happen.

I'm particularly excited about the strange coincidence of open space,
open source and related concepts appearing to emerge all at once. I
know this isn't literally the case, many of these things have been
building up over many years, but with everything that is available now
there seems to be an unprecedented scope for new and interesting
business models.

Thanks for posting the links on Agile software development methods. If
there's anyone in Adelaide interested in discussing these things
further (say, over a coffee or over a pint) then perhaps we should
organise a "space".

Best wishes to you all

Cheers
Tom