Lumps and Jitters

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 05:55:10 PST 2005

Yes, the universe is lumpy.  But I don't think it "jitters" -- more like
"jiggles".

But why quibble?

Is the story of the universe relevant to open space?  Well, let's see...

1.  The universe's story and trajectory are, after all, our origin story as
a species, and this story unites us.  Look at your skin.  It was formed in
the aftermath cooling of the jiggles (or jitters).  Your bones?  Forged in
the countless supernova explosions down the eons (actually 13.7 billion
years ago by scientific count).

2.  The flaring forth at the beginning of space-time (humorously trivialized
as the "Big Bang") set in motion the all-enveloping process of evolution,
which goes on unfolding (and perfecting) everything.  This, too, is part of
our species story, a key part.

3.  Nothing we do mirrors the process of evolution more clearly and directly
as, you guessed it, open space.  (Think about this for a moment, and the
profound genius of Harrison's discovery and formulation will break over you,
as it does me every time I convene one of these "meetings".  Talk about
jitter-jiggles!)

So, for my part, discussions of the universe story are as relevant here as
as any other aspect of our practice.

For more, read anything by Thomas Berry, especially The Great Work.  Or
enjoy Brian Swimme's The Hidden Heart of the Cosmos.  For a connection to
the corporate world, global finance, and our more immediate, earthly issues,
devour David Korten's two latest books: When Corporations Rule the World and
The Post-Corporate World.

Ralph Copleman