Success

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 13:43:19 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:04:33 -0500, R. Duff Doel <duff at innergy.ca> wrote:
> "Some people will do anything
> to maintain control and avoid success."

Often people expect big things from organizational development
"interventions."  They wouldn't do so otherwise.  Retreats, planning
sessions, Open Space forums...all come with the expectation that doing
something significant will change things significantly.

In working with sponsors I do have conversations about what
transformation really means and how willing people are to transform
themselves to meet the new world they are wanting to be born.  There
is a real stretch in this work for people, to go into somewhere new
while not abandoning what they know - the "safe ground" - even if the
safe ground is no longer serving them very well.

Fear, trust, openness, chaordic confidence...all of these are
emotions, practices and states we need to grapple with to open
ourselves to transformation.  We need to be able to embody change in
order to be there to welcome it when it arrives.

And so for me success is relative, but what I really invite people to
stretch into is that place where they can embody the success they
want.  If they can't then we have to get real about what we're willing
to do.

But if they CAN get really big and offer themselves up for change,
unbelievable things can happen.

Good question, Duff.

Chris

--