Principles, Process, and People

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:36:48 PST 2005

Sticking to the manual is a good idea.  I don't just walk into the
circle and point at the tools and say "go."  Foregoing the ritual of
riciting the principles and the law happens if I've set the stage
properly, so it's "in the air."  I have noticed people NOTICING the
principles and the law on their own, especially the law.  They'll come
over to me and talk about how nice it is to be free to wander between
groups.

I love the ritual of opening space, and in the vast majority of cases,
I follow pretty much the same basic script as I did the first time I
did it, and that was cribbed out of the old user's guide.  So yes...it
is useful both for the facilitator and the group.  And if it's your
first time, SAYING the law and the principles out loud helps you to
believe that these things are actually true!  That's a hard fact to
follow if you've never seen them in action, and one of the reasons I
think many facilitators stumble upon OST and give it short shrfit the
first time they do it.  If you as a facilitator can't model the belief
in true self-organization and the power of the people to do their
work, it's unlikely that anyone in the group will.  So go whole hog
with your opening, don't modify it from the basic script too much, but
mostly BE the enthusiasm you FEEL for the process.

That's what Lisa Heft teaches me!  :-)

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN