FW: Principles, Process, and People

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Tue Mar 15 06:38:51 PST 2005

Hi,

Harrison you wrote: I am always blown away how "easily" firmly held
positions, never-to-be-change protocols, and rock solid
procedures are apparently dissolved in Open Space.

As participants and hosts people do come in with their prevalent mental
models and yes, our familiar procedures or that of our organization tend to
dominate. Most often these procedures are not as open as the principles of
Open Space Technology. To allow people to shift, to be and take their space
in a different way, a brief reminder of the "principles to create space" are
useful so people can let go of the old procedures and open up to the
simplicity and focus on what they have passion for.

As Shay said so well: Sometimes people need help getting from there to here.

And yes, with certain groups more familiar with letting go, a few words will
be sufficient to remind the principles that help create the space for
productive and passionate meetings.

Diane