OS with people coming late

Christine Koehler christine.koehler at wanadoo.fr
Wed Jun 8 06:37:31 PDT 2005

Hi all,

some news about this OS :
I was there early, prepared the space and walk the circle before. People
from the morning meeting were still there and 4 staid for the afternoon.
Then, 2 women arrived. On time. I waited 10 mn more then decided to
start.So we were 8 people (6+the group leader who invited me+I),  I
decided to it as if it was a big circle and explained how it worked.
Everybody was listening, a bit surprised. Slowly they proposed 7
subjects . Then one of them suggested we stay all together, because she
wanted to hear everything. Everyone seemed to agree, so we did.

It has been a strange experience for me, like trying to open a space
that was already open.
What I realized  is that the facilitator who stands up to facilitate a
meeting has a different position than a sitted participant. I felt
myself  more than usual as the person who "was supposed to know" and I
had to "fight"(ie be careful not to answer)  more than usual to let them
share their experience and not wait the answers from me.
After the meeting, I talk with the regular facilitator of this group and
she told me that she felt herself as a participant & not as the leader,
as she usually is. My guess is that she felt so because I stood up to
open the circle.

Christine