OSLIST Digest - 30 May 2005 to 31 May 2005 (#2005-148)

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 07:05:34 PDT 2005

Just want to wish you well on your great summer trip. . . and to
restate that I never thought you did something 'wrong' when you shared
the limerick about the price of beer tattoo'd on a waitress' tthigh.
Actually, I get that you are a great guy, esp. in the context of
gender discrimination. . . one of the keepers.

Seeing that limerick on the list just reminded me that gender inequity
is deeply embedded in our culture, even in the liberal circles I hang
out in and something about your relatively harmless limerick helped me
see how gender inequality is perpetuated. . . it is finely woven into
all the tendrils of culture and just about everybody laughs as a good
giggle that not-so-subtly reinforces the idea that women aren't quite
as important as men.

LIke most people attracted to change facilitation work, I want to live
in a better world and I know, from the place where all my best wisdom
arises, that we aren't going to put an end to war as long as many
people think any category of human being is inferior to another.

Have a great trip,Ralph.