What have I learnt

Masud Sheikh masheikh at cogeco.ca
Tue Jun 28 15:36:16 PDT 2005

Some weeks ago I had promised to write more about what have I learnt from
OS.

I have participated in a few OS programs spread over a few hours (less than
half a day).

I participated in one multi-day OS program, which was part of the annual
conference of SoL (Peter Senge's initiated Society for Organizational
Learning) in 1999.

I traveled from Pakistan for the conference, which was held in New Hampshire
(I was still feeling comfortable about using up my savings).

The format of the conference changed (from whatever) to OS during the last
week or so before the conference. The change happened after I left Pakistan
- I was stopping off in the former mother country of all English-speaking
nations of the world. There appeared to have been a rebellion by potential
participants.

So, while I had come to learn, I found that the conference largely became a
marketplace for consulting offerings of participants.

I felt the co-ordination was loose, and spent most of the OS time in open
space (rather than Open Space), i.e. the coffee shop & suchlike.

However, I did find spirit permeating some of the large group sessions. This
had happened earlier in the Core Competencies Course, run by Peter Senge &
Bill Isaacs for SoL.

So, to me the spirit seemed more because I was with co-learners than because
there was any impact of Open Space.

Whatever I have learnt subsequently about OS is through this list. For me,
the implications of The Law (for life generally, including the final time
the law is used by humans) have great significance. The other profound
principle for me is "When it's over, it's over". I guess this is what HO
refers to when he talks of grief work.

Take care, all of you

Masud

Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at
the testing point - C.S. Lewis