While any of us yet live...

Patricia Haines levelgreen at kaxy.com
Thu Jul 21 09:31:40 PDT 2005

As new to this listserv,. I have been deeply moved by the depth and passion of your exchanges - this
latest rif touches something I'm speaking about at a workshop this afternoon: the promise and
challenge of integrating personal, professional andn political. Academics are starting to pay
attention to the scholar/activist conundrum - but you all are providing the framework and grounding
for me to speak more confidently and clearly in this realm. thank you.

Question: I never heard of Open Space in grad school (PhD, adult education). How did you all first
encounter it? as part of formal training or otherwise? I'd like very much to introduce it to my
adult edn colleagues, who tend to polarize as social community-based justice v. workforce
prep/corporate training for economic globalization. The issues we all face at this time of
environmental destabilization, in my view, make it imperative that this dichotomy find some
resolution so that we can work together.  An Open Space gathering at an adult edn conference might
provide a way to bring both sides to the table to explore how to achieve such cooperation.

Thanks for your thoughts - Patricia Haines